This 5-ingredient strawberry white chocolate hot cocoa bombs recipe makes a beautiful Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day treat – or simply a sweet dessert for a blah winter day!
Are you looking for a pretty, fast, and fun alternative to traditional hot cocoa? Hot cocoa has long been a treat loved by moms and kids alike. Yet now, every day it seems like a new hot chocolate bombs recipe hits the net.
And you know what? I think that’s a good thing. When you’re a homeschooling working mom, it can be challenging to find ways to treat yourself.
And since the pandemic, we could all use new ideas for simple at-home treats anyways. (Not to mention needed a pretty treat during the dreary February days too.)
What’s a Hot Cocoa Bomb Anyways?
If the phrase “strawberry white chocolate cocoa bombs” leaves you scratching your head, you’re not alone. In fact, until my almost-eleven-year-old daughter asked me about how to make hot chocolate bombs, I’d never even heard of them.
But I discovered they’re simple and actually kind of fun! In their simplest forms, hot cocoa bombs are simply single-servings of hot, milk-based flavored or non-flavored cocoa, encased in hardened chocolate.
When you immerse the cocoa bombs into hot water, they melt, and release all that milky-sweet-goodness into the liquid. Then just add some whipped cream, chocolate shavings (or not) and you have a decadent, elegant, version of hot cocoa for mom.
When to Serve Strawberry White Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
Here are a few ideas on how to use a hot chocolate bombs recipe
- make them with your children as a hands-on homeschool activity, and then serve them for a special snack at poetry tea time
- give them as gifts to family, friends, or neighbours for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day or birthdays
- make them to keep as a treat for yourself or as part of your regular self-care for mom time
- encourage your older kids to get creative in the kitchen and include making hot cocoa bombs as part of your weekly homeschool routine
What You Will Need to Make Hot Cocoa Bombs
What will I need to complete this recipe?
You will need the following ingredients to make the cocoa bombs:
1/2 cup Strawberry Powder Drink Mix
1/2 cup Powdered Milk
7 – 8 ounces White Chocolate
1/2 cup Freeze Dried Strawberries
1/3 cup Mini Marshmallows
You will also need the following supplies:
1 Double Boiler
FAQs About This Hot Recipe
No. Instead, boil water in a pan with a lid. Then put a bowl on top of the lid. This mimics the way a double boiler works.
Yes. This is exactly what I did as we had dehydrated strawberries leftover from our summer foraging adventures.
Easy! Use a sandwich bag and a nail scissors to snip a tiny hole in the corner. A toothpick works too.
Maybe. I want to give this a try with cherries and also with raspberries. I’ll let you know how it works out!
Steps for Making White Chocolate Cocoa Bombs
Gather your ingredients
Mix the ingredients according to instructions below ⬇️
Pour into silicone mold
Marvel at your amazing creations…
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Powder Drink Mix
- 1/2 cup Powdered Milk
- 8 ounces White Chocolate - baking chocolate, bar chocolate or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Freeze Dried (or Dehydrated) Strawberries
- 1/3 cup white Mini Marshmallows
- Make the strawberry mix by combining equal parts of the powdered strawberry drink mix and the powdered milk. (I used 1/2 cup of each).
- Melt white chocolate in the double boiler.
- Carefully spoon melted white chocolate into the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to coat the whole mold.
- Let the white chocolate set up in the molds. (If you prefer, speed up this process by putting the molds in freezer for about seven minutes).
- Once it has hardened, carefully press the white chocolate spheres out of molds.
- Rotate the bottom half of each white chocolate bomb on a warm plate to smooth any rough edges.
- Fill the bottom half with 1/4 cup strawberry mixture, several freeze dried strawberries and mini marshmallows.
- Rotate top half of sphere on a warm plate to smooth edges and then carefullly press two halves together. The slightly melted edge will seal the two halves shut.
- Decorate the cocoa bomb tops by piping melted white chocolate from a pastry bag (or sandwich bag with a tiny hole in the corner).
- Sprinkle with strawberry dust, shaved white chocolate, dark chocolate and/or sprinkles.
- Place your strawberry bomb in a mug and pour hot water or milk over it. Stir and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 3
Amount Per Serving: Total Fat: 182gSaturated Fat: 110gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 57gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 566mgCarbohydrates: 342gFiber: 4gSugar: 336gProtein: 38g
You might also like…
This post is part of the Homestead Blog Hop 327!